5 Tips for New Basketball Coaches
Basketball season has officially tipped off, and for some, this means that this is their first shot at a head coaching position. Great coaches, in any sport, don't become great overnight. Through trial and error, experience, and learning, coaches obtain the qualities needed to take the helm of their team.
First-time basketball head coaches need to understand that it takes time to develop skills particular to the sport, such as leadership, communication, and strategy. While it may be rough in the beginning, there are some things that can be done to ease these coaches into the unfamiliar role. Here are 5 tips for coaches new to the sidelines:
1. Find a Mentor: Learn from someone who has been there before. Whether it's a fellow basketball coach, or even a coach in a different sport at your school, ask questions about how they coach their teams, and what they do to try and lead their players. Having a mentor will give you someone to turn to when your not sure of how to handle specific situations.
2. Assemble a Team: It's difficult to look after a team and all of the moving parts that come with it all by yourself. Make sure to hire a reliable staff of assistant coaches to help you manage the team. It's also a good idea to hire a couple of team managers as well, who can take care of small, but important duties such as the handling of uniforms and water bottles.
3. Be on Time!: You know what you signed up for. Don't ever be late! While it may seem simple, running late to practices, meetings, and events will send a message to your players that you're not committed to them. What type of example do you want to set for your team?
4. Plan Your Practices: Think beforehand how you can use your most precious resource as a coach; time. Plan out how you will use your practice time effectively so that you can prepare your team for game-time. Create a continuous list of drills to have readily available, so that you can map out how you want to set the tone at your next practice.
5. Seek Professional Development: There are numerous coaching clinics, camps, and conferences that can be attended on a year-round basis. Surround yourself with others who have the same passion as you and are also seeking to better themselves. It even helps to go online and browse coaching forums and websites to see how other coaches have grown in the sport, and what they see as the steps to overall team success.
Sign your new basketball team up for a fundraising campaign today at www.snap-raise.com!